Perform these moves in the gym to get ready for the bedroom.
There are lot of reasons to work out. Whether you want to get stronger, shed some weight, or help heal an injury, your time in the gym can improve your life out in the world…and in bed ;-).
In honor of Valentine’s Day, here are 5 simple bodyweight exercises that will help you build strength and muscular endurance that’ll help you out the next time you’re getting busy. You can do these individually in a Tabata or run through them all in a HIIT workout.
And if you’re single, asexual, or just not in the mood, these exercises will have functional benefits in the streets as well as the sheets!
Don’t Skip the Foreplay!
One quick word before we get down to business. Whenever you exercise, you start with a dynamic warm-up to loosen up your joints and get your muscles ready to work. And if you’re new to exercise, you should talk to a doctor or personal trainer (we know a few good ones) to make sure you’re doing the right exercises for your body.
Giddyup cowpoke! This squat variant will have you ready to ride off into the sunset with (on?) your partner.
- Start with your feet slightly wider than a standard squat position.
- Push your butt back and lower yourself down in a wide-stance squat.
- Now, instead of coming back up, you’re just going to raise yourself a few inches then return to your squat.
These burn, so if you need a break, just come out of your squat.
They don’t call it a booty call for nothing. A powerful bottom isn’t just nice to look at, it does a lot of work while you play. This move tones your glutes so your booty is ready to answer the call.
- Lay on your back (heeey), with your legs bent at 45-degree angle and both feet planted firmly on the floor.
- Push through your heels and squeeze your glutes together to raise your hips off the floor. At the top of your bridge, your body should form a straight angle from your knees to your shoulders.
- Hold at the top, and then lower your booty until it taps the floor before going into the next bridge.
If you want to get freaky with these, you can do them with one leg extended in the air. Just be sure to do the same number of reps on each side.
Being able to get your legs in the air comes in handy and takes a decent amount of core strength.
- While you’re still laying down from the glute bridges, extend your legs straight out, feet together but not crossed. Place your hands under your hips for lower back support.
- Slowly raise both legs at the same time until your body is at a 90-degree angle.
- Control your legs on the way down.
If you like it a little gentler, give your knees a slight bend to take pressure off your lower back. If you want something a little harder, add a reverse crunch to the top.
Who doesn’t love a little back and forth? Plank rocks are another core exercise that also engage the shoulders and chest.
- Start in a standard plank position on your hands or forearms.
- Push through your toes to raise your heels and move your body forward.
- Slowly return to starting position.
I don’t I need to tell you why this is a useful move to practice.
Dive Bomber Push-ups
Put your whole body into it! Dive bomber push-ups help build mobility in your hamstrings, hips, and back while strengthening your traps, shoulders, chest, triceps, back and abs.
- Start with your hands and feet planted on the ground, a little wider than shoulder width. Lift your hips up and back so your body forms a triangle, downward doggy-style.
- Lower your chest down and forward to the floor as you bend your elbows like you would during a vanilla push-up.
- As you glide your chest through your elbows, straighten your arms. Your hips will now be parallel to floor as you push your upper body toward the ceiling.
- To return to starting position, push back on your hands while raising your booty back into the air.
Feeling warm yet?
After these exercises, you should feel pretty hot and bothered. Maybe a little pleasantly sore. Don’t forget to cool down with a little foam-rolling or stretching of the muscle groups we just worked.
And if you just can’t wait to go again, join us at Sweet Hearts Sweat Hard, Friday, February 16, 2018. HER Social App is hosting a mixer at the gym starting at 6:30pm followed by a free Valentine’s Day themed workout at 7:30pm. If you show up before 7:00pm, you’ll be entered into a raffle for a free month’s membership at the Queer Gym!